Monday, August 4, 2008

Well hey there Sweden

So the Denmark phase of Scandinavian Adventure 08 has come and gone. And now I've moved on to Sweden. However, I must say that the weather in Sweden has been much more uncooperative than in Denmark. And not necessarily meaning it's much colder, but much, much more rainy. Oh well, I'm about to head 6 hours to the north, so surely the weather can't be bad ALL over Sweden, right?

So anyway, I'm going to have to run fairly soon so that I can walk to the train station and catch my train for Stockholm, so I don't really have time for my usual commentary on each picture. But here are a few from Copenhagen, and I'll try to say a little about each.

Well, I would say this one is fairly self-explanatory. Lovely little welcome sign bringing me in to Denmark. This would also be the last english I would be seeing for a long, long time.

This is Nyhavn, Copenhagen's famous harbor area. It's really touristy these days, but it's still where all the fishing boats come dock when they come in from the Baltic.

This was the Changing of the Guard at the Danish Royal Palace. Pretty interesting, but Palaccio Real in Madrid is WAY better. :)

Oddly enough, one of the main places I was told to go was to this huge cemetary that people actually go sunbathe and hang out in. And hey, I ran into old Hans Christian Andersen (he wrote The Little Mermaid). And naturally, to fit in with the rest of Europe, his gravestone had grafitti on it. Of course.

This was a really cool looking old church in one of Copenhagen's many many parks. This is possibly the greenest city I have ever seen.

Denmark is awfully proud of The Little Mermaid, so there are little things about her or HC Andersen everywhere. This statue is one of their most famous monuments, though. It's the Little Mermaid waiting to be turned into a human.


Copenhagen has a really, really long pedestrian shopping area called Stroget which is kind of like Las Ramblas in Barcelona. It was a really cool area that I was able to pick up a couple of new books at for pretty cheap, which is surprising because NOTHING in Scandinavia is cheap.

Probably my favorite place to go pass some time was in King's Garden, where all the Danish go on summer days to lay in the grass and picnic, read, and sleep. I felt like a local everytime I took a book or my iPod there to hang out.

And here is a picture of the park.

And finally, I rode over by train from Copenhagen to Malmo, Sweden, where I still am currently. It was pretty cool because the bridge connecting the two is the longest bridge in the entire world. So that in and of itself was a cool experience.

But yeah, I have SO much more that I could say about Denmark, but no time to say it. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight in Stockholm (and an Internet connection) to maybe go a little more in depth.

For now, I'm heading to the train station with my new friend, who is from Texas oddly enough, to head up to Stockholm.

No comments: