Monday, August 4, 2008

Addition to the Denmark post

Okay, well, in my earlier post, I assured myself that it couldn't possibly be raining all through Sweden.

But like pretty much everything else that I ever assure myself on, I was horribly incorrect. I arrived into Stockholm with the open arms of a huge, soaking rain storm. So yay for getting completely soaked walking to the hostel. :)

The good news is that this hostel is incredible. Easily the nicest hostel I have stayed in yet. And they have free food for all of the people staying here, which is a HUGE plus in my book.

So anyway, just a bit more on my experience so far.

I really, really liked Copenhagen a lot. It was one of the most chill, laid-back places I have ever been. Of course, it's not quite as touristy as, say, Barcelona or Paris. But the atmosphere there was incredible. Everyone was so warm and welcoming and it was impossible to not feel at home.

Like I had previously mentioned, I've met some really incredible people along the way. My favorites in Copenhagen were Katarina the German, Joe the Canadian, and Karla the Australian. Each one of them was really cool and so much fun to hang out with. I've always been one to really enjoy meeting new people, and getting to meet them from all over the world and share this experience with them all has been great.

Another great thing about Copenhagen is that everything is so easily accessible. I never had to take a metro or bus and was easily able to walk everywhere from my hostel. Granted, I nearly wore myself out walking the entire city, but I figured I had such a short time there that I had to see it all.

So finally, I had to leave to go to Malmö (pronounced MAL-moo) in the south of Sweden. I actually got there pretty late and didn't have time to go out and see anything, but I wasn't too worried about it as one of my Swedish friends that I had just met told me that "Malmö is a.....hmmmm....how do you say? Oh yes, it's a shithole." Now imagine that with the most stereotypical Swedish accent you can think of and you've got it.

The good thing is that I met this really cool guy who was crazy similar to myself. He was from San Antonio, he studied in Alcala for a year during undergrad, and he had just finished spending a year in Madrid getting his MBA. So he and I had a ton to talk about, which was awesome. It was so cool to finally talk with someone from my part of the world. haha But he and I exchanged emails and will definitely be staying in touch.

So anyway, here I am now in Stockholm (after a nice, long 6 hour train ride from Malmö), but without much to do since it's still pouring outside. And I don't really have a ton of desire to go out in that mess. Especially since it's only around 16 degrees Celsius (60 fahrenheit). And after living in Spain where everyday it's around 42 degrees Celsius, well, it feels like it's freezing.

The only bad thing about Stockholm is that now that I'm so close to seeing Anne, it's all I want to do! Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen of the city, it looks incredible. So beautiful. But I'm so excited to see Anne that I don't want to wait anymore. All in due time I guess.

Even more exciting, only 11 days before I get home and see some of my favorite people in the world! (and I can honestly say that without exaggerating now, haha)

1 comment:

emmy said...

I've not only been slacking on posting on my blog, but on reading about your adventures. I can't wait until I can talk to you and hear all about them, complete with man-giggles and everything. Wow, I honestly just teared up. Love you!