Friday, December 12, 2008

The Year in Review

Today I found out that I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas, which has definitely been needed for a couple of years now. How nice that I get one now that I'm done with college. :) JK JK, I'm happy to get it in any case.

Anyway, the computer is not the important part of the story. I've started to organize all my files, music, photos, etc. from this old laptop so that I can transfer everything over quickly and easily, and in the process of organizing, I started going through all of my many, many photos that I have take over the years and, more specifically, over the course of this year. What caught my attention is that my life from January 1st until today has changed so drastically that it's almost like I'm living a completely different life.

So I decided that it would be really cool to put a picture up here, one for every month of this past year. Each picture represents a great memory or event from that month that I really feel like represent the month well. So, without further ado, here is my year in review:

January - This photo is actually from day numero uno, January 1st, 2008. I had gone on a nice, long road trip with a pretty good group of friends to Phoenix, Arizona to see the Sooners play in the Fiesta Bowl. And of course we couldn't pass up a trip to the Grand Canyon in the process. So here I am, perched on a ledge of the Grand Canyon. Not a bad way to start the year.

February - Of course my representation of February is of my amazing High School Leadership Conference exec. So many hours, days, weeks, months of preparation went into making this conference happen and I couldn't have possibly had a better exec with me to make it all happen. I miss HSLC a lot and looking at my exec makes me miss it all that much more.

March - This is a picture from the trip to NYC that Katie and I took together on Spring Break. It was a great trip in a lot of ways. We got to see a lot of things, we got to spend a lot of time together, and we got to realize a lot about the two of us. It was a great trip with a great girl and it's something that I will always look back on with fondness.
April - Looking back on my pictures from April, it was basically the month of Elizabeth and the Plastics. Which kinda sounds like a cool music group name. Anyway, plastics got May, so Elizabeth got April. She and I went to what seemed like 100 date parties that month, but really we just took each other to our final Phi Delt and Tri Delt date parties. Elizabeth always has been and always will be one of my very best friends on the face of the planet and we've had some of the absolute craziest times together. Never a dull moment.

May - My so-called "Plastics Month." haha How could any of us forget the oh-so-famous 8 (9, 10, 11, 12....) in '08? It is literally one of my favorite nights of college and life in general. This group of people (picture is minus Bebb, Eks Wye, Kelly, etc., but I had to pick and choose. And they don't read this anyway, so no harm, no foul.) also represents some of the best friends I've ever had and a time with all of us together, such as when this picture was taken, is guaranteed to be full of all kinds of debauchery. And also sorry to Ryan who joined us later in the night, but picture number 1 was the best one of the night. For various reasons.

June - My first picture at my University in Spain. Those first few days were so full of excitement, awkwardness, thrills, nervousness, and so much more. I can't even really explain it in perfect detail. But I had been waiting my entire life for this opportunity and it really changed me a lot.

July - This picture represents so well my life in Spain. I love love love it. For many reasons. First of all, I'm posing with a ton of friends who I had never met before going to Spain, yet I was having a blast with. We were taking part in one of the famous festivals of Spain, the Running of the Bulls, and taking in the culture as much as possible. Basically it represents the amazing times and the amazing friends that came from studying abroad.

August - This is a picture from Anne's house in Norway. Ever since I met Anne all those years ago in Calvin, we have met each other in various cities around the US. Yet I have always wanted to see Anne in her natural environment and meet her friends and family who I had heard about for years. So this picture represents a culmination of a friendship (that will still be going for years to come, of course). What a great time this was.

September - Honestly, I couldn't remember if this was end of August or beginning of September, but either way, it's close enough. But this was the first football game back at good old University of Oklahoma. I love this picture because it represents the fact that even though I had been gone so long, I still had a home and friends to come back to. Even though we had to evacuate the stadium in the process.

October - Of all my pictures from this month, this one is my favorite. Like I said, my life here changed a lot, and that included a whole new cast of friends. Here we have me, Nellie, William from France, and Jorge and Dini from Spain all dressed up for a Halloween party. I've loved getting to know these new people and I love the fact that we all feel like we've been friends forever. This was a particularly fun night as we all had fun partying in Norman.

November - I love this picture because it's from one of the last home games and these are all people that I have known forever. It's so great knowing that these people will always be in my life no matter how far apart we get and how long we're away from OU. And we will all always have a lot of love for our school.


December - Now as my college career is drawing to a close, and the holiday seasons are approaching, nothing in my life is more apparent than the importance of my family. So this is a picture of me and my almost-two-year-old nephew Colt that was actually just taken today. We both kinda look a little chubbier than we really are, but hey, we're not looking to impress anyone. But I love this picture because it shows that no matter how much change happens in my life or how crazy things get, my family will always be there.

So there you have it. A year in the life of Jordan. A lot has changed. A lot has stayed the same. And there is still so much to look forward to in the year to come.

3 comments:

emmy said...

Why do your end of the year posts always make me tear up? :)

It sounds/looks like you have had quite an amazing year, Mr. Carlton. I certainly do miss you!

Megan said...

As the founder of 7 in 07... which led to 8 in 08, I am truly proud! And I'm sad because I have absolutely no memories with you from this year! How horrible is that? But you had an incredible year and I'm glad you have wonderful memories to go along with it! I truly miss you!

Katie said...

Awwww, I love love love love this post! So many good memories... and many more to come! Miss you love!