Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Small Things

So I'm realizing more and more how it is the small things here that have really started to add up and make a difference on me.

Small things that make me feel more acclimated to Spain, like how accomplished I felt when I found my way to the mall all by myself. And let me just mention that it is about an hour walk from my house to the mall. I was riding pretty high when I found it. :)

And small things that I'm really starting to love about the country, like how adorable every single spanish kid is or how freaky and outlandish the fashion is. Or how everything is so incredibly spanish from the buildings to the streets to the parks to the people. Everything fits in perfectly with my preconceived ideas of what Spain would look like and I love it. Or how there is such a mix of ancient and modern, like my school that was built over 600 years ago or discotecas that play both traditional spanish music and the latest hits from the US.

And then there are the small things that never fail to make me smile, like walking with friends to get helado on the Calle Mayor or sitting with a huge group of people and drinking a glass of wine on the Plaza. Or getting called "cheekymonkey."

And of course there are those small things that make me appreciate what I have back home. Like not having to wait three days to wait for your laundry to dry so you can get it back. And like having a big bedroom that I actually relax in. And like driving a car.

All these small things wrapped up are making my experience what it is. And in one word, I can only describe it all as amazing. Spanish culture is still so different to me but every day I get used to it a little more and a little more. I'm so glad I've chosen to do this and I know this is really the summer of a lifetime.

Instead of ending with a story, I'm going to end with a mini-rant this time around. Spanish lunches are usually really big, delicious ordeals because spaniards see lunch as the most important meal of the day. Fine, whatever. Dinners always provide enough food to fill my stomach, but are typically much smaller affairs. Also fine. However, one thing that the spaniards have not figured out is the art of dessert. So far my desserts have only consisted of melon, apples, and peaches. Now don't get me wrong, I love fruit and all. But would it kill them to give me some chocolate every once in awhile?! I'm a guy that can readily admit he's got a killer sweet tooth, and not having REAL dessert is killing me! For everyone back home, be ready to take me out for lots of dessert when I get back to the states! :)

So for now, I'm going to sit here in my room with my window open listening to someone strumming their guitarra somewhere close by and just be content with life.

1 comment:

emmy said...

1. Well, I guess I was just comparing H&M to the real high-end stores I'm soon going to have at my disposal at any given time. :-p

2. Come visit me as soon as you get back and we'll go shopping AND more importantly, get some of those famous Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. :)

3. I still just love reading your blog. Every time!