Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Lesson in Spanish Culture...and Marketing


Disclaimer: This is not being posted out of perversion. It is being posted to prove a point. So before you judge me, watch the whole commercial and read what I have to say. And then judge away.

As a student in Oklahoma, I studied international business and marketing. With that in mind, the way the Spanish culture expresses itself, both in real life and in the world of advertising, is absolutely FASCINATING to me. Seriously.

Exhibit A: The above advertisement.

First, let's analyze the ad itself. For a little background info, this is an ad that is shown on prime time television on all the major television networks in Spain, so it's not just on "special" networks for men. From an American standpoint, my first thoughts were that it was for condoms or something equally sex-related. There is so much gratuitous skin and less-than-subtle sexual context that I really couldn't fathom what else it could be advertising. (And be honest, if you're an American, you thought the same thing.)

And then BAM! IKEA!

What?

I think it can definitely be said that an ad like this would just never fly in the much more conservative (comparatively) American culture. We're just not that comfortable with our bodies and public displays of......well, anything, really. It just wouldn't work. (I mean for the general public. I'm sure there are some demographics out there that would love it.) And plus, I just don't think we can connect sex and furniture superstores. The American mind just doesn't work like that, I'm afraid.

Now, the Spaniards, on the other hand....I mean, it is a long-running commercial in Spain. Guess that kinda speaks for itself.

First of all, Spaniards don't see gratuitous skin as anything major. Take a trip to any beach in the country and check out all the topless women and men in Speedos and it's something that is painfully (and I mean that literally) obvious. And the nudity is no big deal to everyone around, despite the fact that you want to poke your own eyes out.

Also, public displays of affection are extremely commonplace here. Take a trip to any park, theater, supermarket, metro station, school, workplace, etc., etc., etc. and you'll get an eyeful.

So as long as this ad doesn't show the actual sex act (which it comes awfully close by an American standard) then it is A-OK. And what's more, the Spaniards can get past all the skin and sex and actually make the connection between what's happening in the ad and the joy of buying and having great, impossible-to-put-together furniture. And that is FASCINATING.

Right? You all agree with me, right?

BAM, you just got a free lesson in international marketing.

And that'll be enough nerd time for tonight.

No comments: