Wednesday, November 24, 2010

¡Vivimos en Avenue Q!

Translation of title: "We live on Avenue Q!"

For those of you who don't know what Avenue Q is (because I didn't until very, very recently), it's a Broadway musical which takes the puppet and musical stylings of Sesame Street and morphs it into a hilarious, slightly raunchy, entertaining-for-adults show.

Recently, Avenue Q expanded over to Spain and, in fact, above you can see the poster for the show here in Madrid. It says things such as "Warning! Contains full-frontal puppet nudity!" and "NOT for children!" Those things alone should give you some kind of an idea of what takes place here.

Anyway, Tom and Marcus are two other Americans that work at my school. We've all become pretty good friends over the past year after spending about a year and a half working together here in Spain. So a few weeks ago, Tom and Marcus started talking about how this show was opening up here in Madrid and how they both really, really wanted to go because it was hilarious. And, of course, I had never heard anything about it, so I agreed to go just to see what they were talking about.

So we each bought tickets and invited some other friends and went to see it. And oh man it was one of the best shows I've ever seen! I was laughing nearly the entire two hours of the show.

It was definitely a great time and a much-needed laugh in the middle of a busy week. And, as always, it made me glad to have such great friends to do things like this with here in Madrid. I have truly been blessed with some amazing people in my life.

No comments: