Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things Jordan Misses, Part 1

So it's time for a new installment of posts that I would like to call "Things Jordan Misses."

Now living in Spain has provided me with a million little things that I can't get anywhere else in the world: a night out getting tapas, eating jamón by the pound and drinking sangria by the gallon, walking around Madrid and always discovering something new, etc.

However, it would be nearly impossible to live in a foreign country and not miss the small comforts of home.

So here's what I'm currently missing:

No, I'm not missing sitting in my Dad's lap and no, I'm not missing playing with my toy train set. Focus more on the background.

I'm missing having indoor heating.

Many of you may not realize, but a lot of older apartments in Spain (and I think I live in one that was built in the stone age) were never fitted with indoor heat and air. This means no air conditioning in the summer and no heating in the winter. And now that it's starting to get colder, this guy is REALLY starting to miss having some heating.

And maybe some of you think that I'm whining. Or perhaps that I need to suck it up. But getting out of bed in the morning and setting my feet on the cold tile floor of my bedroom makes me feel like I'm living in this:

Oh, and I don't exaggerate. This is serious. I think a penguin could live and function happily in my bedroom.

And maybe it's that I'm spoiled. But I miss the days where I could wake up, be ever-so-slightly uncomfortable with the temperature and walk to the thermostat and crank it up or down until my heart was content and my feet weren't popsicles.


So let this post be my own personal tribute to indoor heating. Oh, how I miss you and the way you kept me nice and toasty and warm in my bed.

So for now, here's a big, warm hug from the North Pole Madrid, Spain.

No comments: